lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: FSDirectory patch for file renaming
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 04:56:18 GMT
On Monday 17 February 2003 13:18, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> Is there any way you can make this reproducable consistenly?
> You said renamaTo is 'fairly flaky' - can you make something that will
> always fail?
> I have never seen that fail, but I rarely use (Lucene on) Winblows.
>
> Adding your patch would not be a big problem, but I'd be much happier
> if we could find out what's causing this to fail.
> Do other developers have suggestions and/or opionions regarding this?

Sounds like a legitimate workaround to me, esp. since this has been reported
as a bug to Javasoft by others earlier. It's a shame they can not fix the
underlying problem, but unfortunately that's a common gripe about Sun's JVM
development.

The only suggestion I have is to encapsulate this workaround in one place,
perhaps to a utility class file (util/FileUtil.java?), and only called from
the other place(s) (right now that would be just one place?). This way
workaround code wouldn't add code clutter to actual functionality, and could
be properly commented in utility class itself.

-+ Tatu +-