lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Sale, Doug" <ds...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: Multiple languages in same index?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:40:25 GMT
randy,

you could use different analyzers over the same index, both indexing and
searching.  however, your search results will be bunk (that's bad).

you would be better off maintaining separate indexes for each language
(analyzer).

it might be possible to use 1 index, provided a field was added to each
entry that defined the analyzer used on it.  you would then search first
over the entire index for entries whose analyzer matched the one you are
going to use on the input query (and then do your "regular" search over that
subset).  i.e., it's a pain, better to do it in multiple indexes.

-doug