lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mchaput <mcha...@aw.sgi.com>
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:31:07 GMT
Late last year there was some discussion on the user list regarding
Lucene's attempt to lock the index before a search failing because of
permissions. Doug suggested one good solution (a flag to not try to
lock) and sombody else suggested a great one (check write permissions,
and if you can't write, don't bother locking because it doesn't matter
anyway).

I was wondering if anything ever came of that discussion, because I'm
really running up against this right now. We'd really prefer not to
install something and have to make the index dir world writable.

I suppose it would be too much to hope that patches are available? ;)
Barring that, can a Lucene guru suggest how much work it would be for a
Lucene newbie (ie me) to make this change in the source, and where I
would begin?

Thanks very much!

Matt

--

Matt Chaput           |   A l i a s | W a v e f r o n t
Information Designer  |   210 King St. E. Toronto, ON, Canada M5A 1J7
mchaput@aw.sgi.com    |   (416) 874-8268

"A goddamned ray of sunshine all the goddamned time" --Sparkle Hayter