lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Directory readonly implementation in a ZIP file via HTTP [FILE]
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:02:58 GMT
Lukas (and anyone else who thought about searching a zipped index),

Maybe I just don't know enough about this, but wouldn't a ZipDirectory
implementation really only be suitable for small indices anyway?
Would anyone want to search a large zipped index?
If not kept in memory, such an index would have to be unzipped all the
time, and if it's big unzipping would take a long time, and therefore
the searches would take a long time.
Am I missing something here?

Erik, you were interested in this, too.  Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Otis