lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Why doesn't IndexWriter have delete()?
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:24:07 GMT
Perhaps IndexWriter is badly named.  It might better be called
IndexAppender.  It doesn't normally touch any of the index but the list
of segments, unless it has to merge some segments, in which case it
usually only touches a small subset of the index data.

IndexReader, on the other hand, is the class that knows how to parse all
of an index and make sense of it.  Deletion requires that the document
be located, which requires parsing the index, so it's an IndexReader
method.  Perhaps IndexReader should be called IndexParser...

I hope that helps.

Doug