lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Mularien <pmular...@deploy.com>
Subject Re: getAllFieldNames diffs
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:43:31 GMT
Well, I guess we've opened a can of worms here. (:

I was voting with Clemens mostly for the argument of consistency with
the rest of the Lucene code. It does seem a bit bizarre to me that we'd
still be using Enumeration elsewhere in the code, but Collection in this
new API, hence the "compromise" of an Iterator.

So I went and did some research on the Sun web site to see if I could
find any guidance there. I did locate a couple bug reports where people
requested API changes of the sort that Clemens requested
(Collection->Iterator or some such), here are a couple interesting bits:

[ref.
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4357111.html,
reviewer comments:]

/

>It is generally considered bad form to return results in the form of an
>Iterator; it is greatly preferable to return a Collection.

>It is much easier and more efficient to
>code against your API if you return the Collection rather than the Iterator.
>For example, suppose your user wants to know the number of returned elements
>prior to examining the elements themselves; with a Collection it's trivial,
>with an Iterator, it's inefficient and painful

/
/
/While I don't consider this particular reviewer an authoritative source
(and I did try looking in various well-traveled Java books of mine) I
couldn't find anywhere else where someone seemed to take a stand one way
or the other. Scott pointed out another authoritative source as I was
writing this message. (:

I would like to vote for the "return a Collection/Set" side for two reasons:

   1. It's fairly trivial to generate an Iterator if necessary.
   2. We aren't talking about returning a lot of data here, where
      backing the Iterator with an efficient reader pattern (as Clemens
      indicated) makes a lot of sense.

I did appreciate Darren's suggestion about returning a Set, and I don't
see any problem with returning that.

So, then the question becomes, does it make sense to look at the other
APIs and think about rewriting those for consistency's sake?

Will submit updated diffs to the list (with Collection->Set) later today.

Peter
/