lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Pace <jmp...@fedex.com>
Subject RE: Indexing during Searching Question
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:46:56 GMT
I believe that the index directory dramatically increases in size during the
optimization phase.

FedEx IT is currently evaluating Lucene as an alternative to a commercial
product, specifically in our "Overgoods" project.  The FedEx network ships
well north of three million packages a day.  Occasionally packages are
misrouted or do not get all the way through the system for one reason or
another.  Descriptions of these packages are logged into the "Overgoods"
intranet application where they are researched in order to find the intended
recipient and fulfill a service obligation to our customer.

Our Lucene implementation is currently in the user testing phase.  The index
contains over 1.5 million documents (4+ years worth of data) containing 18
searchable fields.  The document objects are generated directly from our
production database in an hourly batch job.

Lucene has been found to be a quantum leap over our last commercial search
engine with more features, more flexibility, more speed, more reliability
and of course, a better ROI.  Also, as this last thread proves, we receive
better product support.

We give full credit to the developers with the "powered by Lucene" graphic
and links to the Jakarta-Lucene website.  The "Lucene Highlight" code by IQ
Computing and the "Search Bean" code from Peter Carlson is also used and due
credit is given.

I apologize for the long-winded testamonial, but in my department, Lucene
can do no wrong.

Thankyou all for your efforts.

Jonathan M Pace
Sr Programmer/Analyst