lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Mularien <pmular...@deploy.com>
Subject Re: Development plans for Lucene?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:29:21 GMT
Hi Peter (echo :)

Right, I know that Apache projects are built based on contributions.

I haven't come up with a detailed list of features that I, personally,
would like to see from Lucene, maybe I can start to work on one and
submit it to the users' list for comments and (most importantly)
suggestions.

I have had Lucene on my radar for some time, and as an CIIR/UMass alum,
contributing to the project is interesting from a personal standpoint.
One of my big concerns when suggesting Lucene as a project to base some
software implementation on (or to become personally involved in) is the
fact that there has not been a lot of developer traffic on the lists.

I'm not sure why there's not a lot of immediate developer interest, but
my guess is exactly what you've described, that a lot of people feel
that the core API is well developed and there's nowhere else to go.

I'm not entirely convinced of that, and I'd venture to guess that if we
were to take a poll, there are a lot of features outside of the core API
that [potential] users would love to see implemented in the software.
Alternatively, I know there are some great projects in the sandbox and
contrib that would be great candidates for inclusion into Lucene proper.

I'm not advocating the Microsoft way of added features for the sake of
added features, but having development target(s) to focus on and squash
tends to help garner a lot more [potential] developer interest than
having [potential] developers try to come up with new features on their
own or not introspect and examine whether any additional improvements
could be made to improve and/or stabilize the core engine itself.

Not trying to tickle anyone the wrong way, I just think this is a great
project and would love to stir up some more defined and directed
developer interest in it. Playing in a new, Java search engine is a
project I've had on my personal list for a while... (:

Peter