lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: How do I get TermPositions for a given document?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:16:58 GMT
Spencer, Dave wrote:

>I have an IndexReader and I want to get a TermPositions obj for a given
>document.
>Right now it seems that it only works the other way - you can only get
>TermPositions for a term, or globally for all terms.
>Basically I want to know the positions of all the words in a given doc.
>Is it the case that the index is not set up for this as it's really
>optimized
>to work the other way?

Yes, that's correct. I've developed a set of add-on modules for doing
the revers lookup (aka TermVector support), but right now lack the time
to integrate it with the latest Lucene version and contribute it. So if
you are looking for a quick solution, there isn't one. If you are
looking to add this to Lucene, and are willing to dig deep into the file
formats, perhaps you can help bringing the code I have up to date with
the latest Lucene version.