lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Development plans for Lucene?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:57:21 GMT
> As far as core API level features, I think there are few that are going
> to be added but some of the ones in the pipeline are
>
> Term position support - lead on by Dmitry Serebrennikov

Yes, this is clearly core stuff.

> Analyzers for more languages - Various people

I think this is a good example of where there's some differences in
thinking about what should go in the core.  I think building a library
of analyzers is great, similar to a library of file format decoders.
Very useful, but I'm not sure any of the language-specific stuff
(including the English-specific stuff, like the Porter stemmer) really
belongs in the core.

You see where I'm going here, don't you?  I want people to build on
Lucene, I want them to have a place where people can find their work
and use it, but I also want to keep Lucene small, focused, and
compact, since I think those values are a big part of its success.