lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Keyword boosting
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:03:53 GMT
Brian Goetz wrote:
> Lets say we search for "text retrieval".  We want to find documents that
> have "text retrieval" in the body OR in the keywords, but we want to
> weight hits on the keywords more heavily.  I can't boost the tokens in
> the index base, so I have to do that through the query.

Tokens in a keyword field will naturally tend to impact a hit more than
tokens in the body since the keyword field tends to be shorter, and
Lucene normalizes for the length of the field.

If that's not enough, in the latest CVS version you can boost each field
of a document separately.

I've been thinking through a re-design of the way Lucene does scoring,
both in order to provide an API so that folks can change the scoring,
and to provide more powerful scoring mechanisms.  Stay tuned.

Doug