lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject internal documentation
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:49:03 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
 > --- Doug Cutting <cutting@lucene.com> wrote:
 >>Maybe we should add another target: javadocs-internal or something.
 >>That would be good encouragement to add javadoc comments to internal
 >>classes.
 >
> Sounds good to me.
> I think it would encourage documentation of internals (not really
> existent now) and help those who want to improve internals, develop
> additional core code, or at least understand the existing code.

I recently wrote some Lucene internal documentation for another project
I'm working on.  It describes the binary format of Lucene's indexes.
This is a reference document: it doesn't try to explain why particular
file structures are used, but rather only tries to precisely define
those that are used.

I've attached this in Open Office format and as HTML.  The HTML
conversion is not great, but it's readable.  Perhaps I should maintain
this in HTML instead of Open Office, since it contains no diagrams...

Doug