lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Query Rewriting
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:18:36 GMT
Clemens Marschner wrote:
> I want to perform some rewriting rules on the queries I get. The best way to
> do that is to edit the parse tree.
>
> However, the Query classes do not contain any methods for reading out or
> altering their contents or to clone them.
>
> Is there any reason for that? Or is this just a feature nobody has needed
> yet?

The latter.  My style is not to add features that are not used.  But
several folks have asked for this, so probably it is time to add it.

> I just ask because I fear I will end up rewriting all the Query classes to
> suit my needs, which will be become a tedious integration task as Lucene
> evolves. If there's an interest I could contribute the code then.

Please submit diffs.  It should just be a matter of adding a few simple
accessors to each query class, e.g., to return BooleanQuery's set of
boolean clauses, to return TermQuery's term, to return PhraseQuery's
terms, etc.

Doug