lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Modifying document with unstored fields
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:35:54 GMT
Victor Hadianto wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:47, Dmitry Serebrennikov wrote:
>

>>Victor Hadianto wrote:
>>Yes, generally, there are two answers -- either make all fields stored
>>or use some other database for the storage of the "master" documents.
>>

>Thanks Dimtry for pointing this out, well I now I am sure that we can't do it.
>I think the second approach might be more acceptable in our situation, it
>does have a little bit of performance impact when recreating the document to
>the index but should work.

Perhaps you can do something clever with multiple indexes. For example,
you might have large indexed fields in each document that do not change,
and then some other fields that are also indexed but do change. You
might then maintain two kinds of index entries that point to the same
underlying "document id" in some external storage - one for the fields
that change and another for those that do not. This way you will need to
reindex less text.

Alternatively, you might be able to have an "overlay index" where you
have only the updated information. The search is done against the
updated info first and then against the main index. You would then
consolidate the updates into the main index at night, or something.
Also, if you haven't already, take a look at MultiSearcher if any of
these scenarios seem interesting.

Regards.
Dmitry.