lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Serialization of org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanClause
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:45:53 GMT
Karl von Randow wrote:
> The org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanClause is not currently Serializable, I
> would like to propose that it is made serializable.

You're right, it should be.  This is a bug.  When I recently added
support for remote searching I tested only TermQuery.

I fixed this and added unit test cases for BooleanQuery and PhraseQuery.

Thanks for catching this.

> I'm not sure about the Filter hierarchy, should these be Serializable as
> well?

Filter is already serializeable.  Note that subclasses should be
careful, if they cache BitSets, to make sure that these are not
serialized, by making the cache a transient field.  The recently added
QueryFilter class does this.

Doug