lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: IndexReader.lastModified() not correct
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:17:09 GMT
Scott Ganyo wrote:
> -1.  Now that we've verified that Windows won't work with this proposal
> without additional checks (and I *really* hate OS-specific checks in Java),
> I don't think this would be a good idea.

Here's another approach: have FSDirectory.renameFile() call
File.setLastModified() on its directory.  It doesn't need to check what
OS is running--this always a correct thing to do.

Then we can just use the directory's modified time to see when the index
has changed, keeping that operation fast and cheap.

Doug