lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search QueryFilter.java
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:23:14 GMT
Scott Ganyo wrote:
> I assume that this means that my suggestion (for making Hits work as a
> Filter) was discarded.  Was there any particular reason why?  Just
> curious...

Sorry I never got back to you.

This filter keeps a BitSet of all the matching documents.  Hits does not
do this, and it would cause it to use a lot more memory to make it do
so.  All of the queries which would never be used as a filter would thus
pay this penalty.

Perhaps we should add a getQuery() method to Hits so that folks can
extract the query and use it to construct a filter or another query.
Would that meet your needs?

Note however that filters do not affect scoring.  Using a QueryFilter is
not the same as requiring that same query in a BooleanQuery: the ranking
may be different.

Doug