lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Minh Kama Yie" <m...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Implementation of 'NOT' in the Lucene.
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:06:59 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Lucene (so forgive my naivety) and I am having problems with the use of
NOT expressions in Lucene 1.2 final.
I know this question is probably more directed to the user list but in trying to debug it
I have come across some questions about the architecture and design of the search engine.

The basic scenario is this: I have two files (single line files) and am running them through
the demo application.

file1: abc def

file1: def ghi

I then run the query:

-(def)

and get the result:

Searching for: -def
0 total matching documents

All other queries seems to work just fine.
This seems to imply that "NOT" doesn't work as I expect it to. My questions are:

- Should my query return anything at all?
- By the time it reaches BucketTable.collectHits() has there been any index reading at all?
Because that is the place where the prohibited clause is actually checked right?

Any answers or pointers to the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Minh Kama Yie

This message is intended only for the named recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that
disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action
in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited.