lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Tarek M. Nabil" <Tarek.Na...@itworx.com>
Subject RE: I need your advice
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:03:50 GMT
Thanks Brian,

I really didn't mean or expect to get commit rights right after joining.
All I meant was to ask whether my current qualifications can after a while permit me to be
an active contributor. Believe me, when you talk about lack of documentation, I do understand
what you mean, cause I've suffered a lot from having to tackle code written by others without
a single line of documentation or even expressive variable names.
What I really meant was, is this too complex for me to grab eventually? Are there enough resources
to get me started?
Do I have to be some java guru with experience in object oriented design, patterns and UML
to be of help here or can I get into it step by step?
I hope you understand that I'm not trying to impose on the project here, I'm only seeking
knowledge.

Thanks :)

Tarek Nabil

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Goetz [mailto:brian@quiotix.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 9:53 PM
To: Lucene Developers List
Subject: Re: I need your advice

> 4- If I do participate, I have to eventually get to the core of it,
> I cannot settle for supplying documentation or that sort of stuff.

(response to the community, not just to you)

If software engineering is ever to be taken seriously as an
engineering discipline (like structural engineering, for example),
we've got to ditch the collective attitude that documentation is
something peripheral, or constitutes "settling."  This is the same
mistake that societally causes us to pay teachers less than
bartenders, but as an educated bunch we shouldn't be making that
same mistake.

(Good timing, my next article on IBM's Java Zone is a rant on the thesis
  Good Code && Bad Documentation == Bad Code
)

To respond to Tarek, open-source communities are largely meritocratic.
You'll be able to contribute to the "core" when (a) you've
demonstrated that you contribute worthwhile stuff, and (b) you've got
something to contribute that is useful to the community.  Its pretty
simple.

Welcome!