lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject document & field boosting
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:31:49 GMT
FYI, I just added document and field boosting to Lucene.  It should be
in tonight's nightly build.

This lets one, e.g., implement Google-like ranking, where a factor in a
document's score is determined independently from the text of the document.

Longer term, I'd still like to open up document scoring, so that a user
can alter any part of the formula without altering Lucene's core code.

Enjoy!

Doug

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-lucene/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search TestDocBoost.java
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:14:22 -0700
From: Doug Cutting <cutting@lucene.com>
To: Lucene Developers List <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

cutting@apache.org wrote:
 >   Log:
 >   msg.txt

Oops.  That log entry was supposed to read:

    Added support for boosting the score of documents and fields via the
    new methods Document.setBoost(float) and Field.setBoost(float).

    Note: This changes the encoding of an indexed value.  Indexes should
    be re-created from scratch in order for search scores to be correct.
    With the new code and an old index, searches will yield very large
    scores for shorter fields, and very small scores for longer fields.
    Once the index is re-created, scores will be as before.

Doug