lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration RFC
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:55:29 GMT

>Besides:
>you have used an XML format for the configuration. I personally think XML is
>often overengineering. The current proposal comes with Java property files.
>I have found property files to be more straightforward, easier to write,
>easier to read, and you don't need a 2 MB XML parser. I'm a fan of XP's
>"implement it the most simple way you could possibly imagine".
>And the times I have used XML I've used an XML->Java converter (Castor XML)
>that spared me from parsing it "manually"; another tool I don't want to use
>in this project. What do you think? If I had to use XML I'd probably have to
>delve into the Tomcat sources to find out how they cope with config stuff.

Parsing XML is not so hard.  If you're employed as a software developer
I suggest you learn one day or another you'll need to.  That issue
aside, why would you write a XML configuration aka property handler.  Do
you think you'd do it better than those who went
before you?  Perhaps....

some thoughts:

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/package-frame.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/SAXConfigurationHandler.html