lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: Interesting idea
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:35:47 GMT
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> Adding support to Lucene for Nilsimsa seems like a cool idea...
> The index would be the hash and one could use Lucene to rank searches based
> on the Nilsimsa rating of the results...

Nilsimsa employs a very different model than Lucene.  So this would
require a re-write of the indexing and search portions of Lucene, which
is most of the code.

Nilsimsa appears to use what is called a "signature file" approach in
the literature, while Lucene uses an "inverted file".  A search on
Google for "signature file versus inverted index" turns up a paper by
Zobel et. al. which concludes:

   Our conclusions are unequivocal. For typical document indexing
   applications, current signature file techniques do not perform well
   compared to current implementations of inverted file indexes.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message