lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: I need your advice
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:53:02 GMT
> 4- If I do participate, I have to eventually get to the core of it,
> I cannot settle for supplying documentation or that sort of stuff.

(response to the community, not just to you)

If software engineering is ever to be taken seriously as an
engineering discipline (like structural engineering, for example),
we've got to ditch the collective attitude that documentation is
something peripheral, or constitutes "settling."  This is the same
mistake that societally causes us to pay teachers less than
bartenders, but as an educated bunch we shouldn't be making that
same mistake.

(Good timing, my next article on IBM's Java Zone is a rant on the thesis
  Good Code && Bad Documentation == Bad Code
)

To respond to Tarek, open-source communities are largely meritocratic.
You'll be able to contribute to the "core" when (a) you've
demonstrated that you contribute worthwhile stuff, and (b) you've got
something to contribute that is useful to the community.  Its pretty
simple.

Welcome!