lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: Bug? QueryParser may not correctly interpret RangeQuery text
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 05:01:51 GMT
I think that it is fairly intuitive depending on what functionality people
are trying to use.

For just a standard set of terms the big question is what should the default
boolean operator be OR or AND.

For the rest, it seems fairly "standard" when looking at other search engine
syntax. Also, when a user wants the added functionality it's available just
by reading some documentation. Searching by field, phrase queries, sub
queries, fuzzy searches, boosting terms, proximity operators.

>From my perspective selling a product that depends on the search engine,
people ask about the complex search features, but often don't use them
(although they would down grade the product unless it had them). It's very
nice to be able to say we have the functionality, and it's one of the
reasons why we choose Lucene because it was so full featured from the get
go.

--Peter