lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Dates before 1970
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:27:11 GMT
This is part of the reason I keep poking the list for better number support
(and still haven't heard a "peep" as Phil would say about them, so I am
guessing that one or the other or both of

A: It would take to much redesign to make lucene handle numbers better
B: No one else has a need for indexing numbers and doing a search of all
docs with X field <300 and > 10)

I do what Phil used to do now, so I can tell you that we ended up trashing
this patch, and doing the dates in the following fashion:

We just made them a "normal" field, but put them in the format of

YYYYMMDD

(make sure you pad with 0's if necessary - i.e.  19540203) for February
third, 1954.

This way, they sort alphabetically, so we could write our own date filter to
do a proper range query.

The built in date filter is really useless for historical information.

Daniel C. Armbrust
Medical Informatics Research
Information Services
Mayo Clinic Rochester