lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Bug? QueryParser may not correctly interpret RangeQuery text
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:47:54 GMT
> > Also, we talked about adding numeric ranges too.  First we'd need a
> > NumberField class and "constructor", similar to DateField, and then
> > we'd want to use NumberFormat to see if the elements in the range query
> > are of the right format.

The only part I'm not sure about here is what to do with negative
numbers.  I'm sure there's some representation which gives the desired
result when sorted lexicographically; Doug?

> > I'd like to hand off the specifics of date format parsing to someone
> > else, since I'm pretty pressed for time; I've done the part that
> > involves the parser, which is the high-risk part.

Something that handled a variety of date formats would be nice too.
The standard DateFormat handles nn/nn/nn[nn], but not nnnn-nn-nn or
nn.nn.nnnn or any of the others.  I don't want to get carried away
here with a pluggable date parser -- I just think we should choose
some reasonable representation and call it good.

But we're still stuck on date formats with time -- right now, we're
using whitespace as delimiters in the range -- which means that dates
like
are no good unless enclosed in quotes.