lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Locking problems
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:55:24 GMT
Hello Stefan,

--- Stefan Bergstrand <stefan.bergstrand@polopoly.com> wrote:

> When I recently mentioned that it would be nice to be able to search
> without locking the index, I got the answer "It's on the TODO-list".
>
> I'm glad that it has a good chance to be fixed, but to us it has
> become
> a really big problem.
>
> This is our case:
>
> The indexes are stored on a disk that is NFS-mounted to a number of
> load-balanced hosts, on which the searching is performed. The locking
> mechanism prevents us not only from mounting the disk read-only,
> which
> would have been very nice, but also from searching the same index
> concurrently. Thus, we get performance as if we had just one
> host. Which would be single-thread, too.
>
> So, I would like to know:
>
> * Does anyone know when the fix could made?

I don't have an answer to this.  I don't know about others, but I do
Lucene only when I have extra time, which is here and there.

> * Is there a plan on how to fix it? (If there is, it would be better
>   if I fixed it that way instead of figuring out a kludge of my own.)

Check the mailing list archive, look for terms like CD-ROM or
media/medium, an Italian guy posted a patch or maybe even whole .java
files a few (3+) months ago.  This is what I would like to use to
eliminate this problem, but I haven't had time to take a look at his
contribution.
Actually, if you try it, could you please report how it went, whether
the code works as described, or if you had to modify it, etc.?
That would be helpful.

Thanks,
Otis