lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Murzaku <murz...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Bug? QueryParser may not correctly interpret RangeQuery text
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 23:51:20 GMT
It's true that the unsofisticated end-user would not
use SQL, but between range (inclusive, exclusive),
boolean, fuzzy, etc., the simple query parser you have
is evolving into something more complex than SQL.
While SQL supports them with key words, we are getting
into an endless quest for unused characters to mark
the latest variation of the query. By the way, it
seems that you already have support for the "WHERE
..." part (AND, OR, NOT, NEAR). If we had "LIKE" and
"BETWEEN ... AND ..." we would have almost everything
SQL has for the matching part.

I think that the only way to have a query that does
NOT look like a programming language is to have
natural language understanding (which we won't have
for a while.) Once the end user is forced to learn the
difference between terms and operators, he already is
in the realm of programming languages.