lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric D. Friedman" <e...@conveysoftware.com>
Subject Re: Adding a TermExpansionQuery
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 13:45:41 GMT
Whichever storage mechanism you choose, you should be sure to abstract its
interface so that people can make other choices.  With that out of the way,
it doesn't matter too much whether you pick a properties file or an XML
file.

That said, I wouldn't expect to find this data stored in the index
directory, since it's not part of the index and since users may want to
share the data across several indices.  I would also lean toward the
XML file (for a file solution, that is -- an RDBMS should be supported
too), since that lends itself more naturally to describing one-to-many
relations than a properties file does.

Personal opinion: "Thesaurus" is a more descriptive term than
"TermExpansion." To me, term expansion suggests some kind of text
globbing, whereas a thesaurus is a reference (a "lookup table") that
provides *semantic* expansions of the kind you describe.  Oracle's
intermedia indexing engine has thesaurus features similar to what you
describe and calls them by that name.

Eric