lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Scott Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search DateFilter.java
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 00:01:52 GMT
on 5/7/02 4:44 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:

> If this is a big enough issue then I say we should install some manner
> of automatic code formatter to be run on checkin.  It can format the
> code  to whatever the community has agreed the convention is, then Jon
> won't have to serve in this role manually.  I'll be happy with whichever
> one jon installs since I can always run my own locally.
>
> -Andy

Newbie statements like this comes up so many times over the years...think
for about 30 seconds about how CVS works and then you will realize that that
idea isn't possible.

Needless to say (and I run and duck for cover), if someone used Maven [1] to
build their project, then they could run checkstyle against it very easily
before doing a checkin.

As far as manually goes, I look for more than code formatting mistakes. The
whole point of sending cvs commit messages to the mailing list is for peer
review.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/

-jon