lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Halácsy Péter <halacsy.pe...@axelero.com>
Subject RE: VOTE: Possible features for next release
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 16:13:32 GMT
ndexSearcher, IndexWriter, Searcher, Directory, FSDirectory, RAMDirectory can be subclassed
from outer package.

It would be very useful to make for example a ManagedSearcher class that is returned by an
IndexAccessControl class:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config=lucene-dev_jakarta_apache_org&restrict=&exclude=&words=IndexAccessControl

peter

[...]

> [ ] Peter Halacsy's changes to the QueryParser that, I
> believe, make it
> possible to programmatically specify a default operator (OR or AND).
>
> [ ] The recently submitted code that allows for queries such
> as "Microsoft
> suc*" to match "Microsoft success" and "Microsoft sucks".
>
> [ ] Alex Murzaku contributed some code for dealing with Russian.
>
> [ ] A lady from Finland submitted code for handling Finnish.
>
> [ ] Japanese Analyzer ( Kazuhiro Kazama <kazama@ingrid.org>)
>
> [ ] make package protected abtract methods of
> org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher to public (I'd like to be
> able to make
> subclasses of Searcher, IndexWriter, InderReader )
>
> [ ] Term Vector Support
>
> [ ] add lastModified() method to Directory, FSDirectory and
> RamDirectory (so
> it could be cached in IndexWriter/Searcher manager)
>
> [ ] support for adding more than 1 term to the same position
> (I'm sorry I
> didn't find Doug's email about this)
>
> [ ] Does anyone see a problem with adding support for storing
> unindexed,
> untokenized *binary* data as document fields?  At the moment,
> the closest
> thing we have is unindexed, untokenized *character* data.
> Looking at the
> source, this will be a trivial change, but I'm curious to
> learn if there are
> specific reasons (other than inclination and opportunity)
> that this has been
> left out.
>
> [ ] Another feature could be the ability to retrieve the number of
> occurences not only for a term but also for a Phrase (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg0
0101.html)

[ ] Better support for hits sorted by things other than score.  An easy,
efficient case is to support results sorted by the order documents were
added to the index.

[ ] Support for results sorted by an arbitrary field.

[ ] Add ability to "boost" individual documents/fields.  When a document is
indexed, a numeric "boost" value could be specified for the whole document,
and/or for individual fields.  This value would be multipled into scores for
hits on this document.  This would facilitate the implementation of things
like Google's pagerank.

[ ] Add to FSDirectory the ability to specify where lock files live and to
disable the use of lock files altogether (for read-only media).

[ ] Add some requested methods:
    String[] Document.getValues(String fieldName);
    String[] IndexReader.getIndexedFields();
    void Token.setPositionIncrement(int);