lucene-dev mailing list archives

From cutt...@lucene.com
Subject RE: VOTE: Possible features for next release
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 19:57:27 GMT
> From: none none
>
> 2.I see a lot of "problems" when Searching and Updating on
> the same index. May be is just me, but what i discovered is:
>  a)It is not possible "update" a document, it is possible
> just delete and re-add, that mean open a Reader, do a delete,
> close the reader, open a writer, add the document, optimize ,
> close the writer.
> So it is possible move the "delete" method from the
> IndexReader to the IndexWriter? Or it is impossible for tech.
> reasons? In this way we open just the Writer to do
> update,delete and add documents. This is useful when the
> index needs to be updated often.

This is not possible without a major re-structuring of Lucene.  This has
been discussed here before.  Perhaps this should be in the FAQ.

>  b)There is no way to update just a field in a document,you
> need to update the entire document, so a field update will be
> good,may be this is hard to do.

This is not possible without a major re-structuring of Lucene.  This has
been discussed here before.  Perhaps this should be in the FAQ.

> 3.More documentation about the Index Format will be useful
> for users like me that don't know how the index is built,
> segment,terms,positions, and their relationship.

This has also been discussed on the mailing lists, but not put into a
published document.  Hopefully most users should not need to know the
details of the index format.  However, it still should probably be
documented.

See, for example:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apac
he.org&msgNo=1618