lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.lucene.document.Document.getFields(String name) method?
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 03:10:45 GMT
I'm not sure...
Can you really add multiple fields with the same name to the index?

Check this method comment in Document.java:
  /** Adds a field to a document.  Several fields may be added with
   * the same name.  In this case, if the fields are indexed, their
   * text is treated as though appended for the purposes of search.
   */
  public final void add(Field field)

It sounds like indexed fields are just concatenated (into a single
field with the given name).  I'm not sure what happens with non-indexed
fields.

Does Lucene store multiple values for the same field name in such a way
that you can retrieve them separately?

Thanks,
Otis