lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Roman Rokytskyy" <rrokyts...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: InputStream handling problem
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:57:04 GMT
> So, I think Otis is right - it's really not a "problem", besides being
> an interesting design problem that is. There is an issue of whether it
> is a good practice to make use of OS-specific behavior in this way.
> Obviously, the portability suffers. I'm not sure if there are
> performance arguments one way or another (Doug?).

My main concern here was that I get exceptions from JDataStore, and I had to
put checks whether there's still open stream. If you say that the file will
be deleted, I have no problem with it. :) I will hope that eventually all
streams will be closed and file will be deleted.

Another interesing design issue is cloneable input streams (this is where
the problem comes). Since I never met it before, it would be great to put
some Javadoc that explains in what state cloned input stream is supposed to
be. Thanks to JDataStore, input stream there is random access and I can seek
where I want, but what if some stream does not provide such functionality?

Best regards,
Roman Rokytskyy