lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Sandbox now official
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:02:01 GMT
Hm, I thought we already covered this.

I think contributions will fall in at least 2 categories:
1. Contributions whose home is Lucene Sandbox repository
2. Contributions whose home is elsewhere, and that are just dumped in
Lucene Sandbox in order to:
   a) keep them in one place and allow Lucene users to find all
Lucene-related applications easily and in one place instead of doing
web searches, or mailing list archive searches, etc.
   b) ensure that a copy of the contributed software is preserved, even
if the original contributor's site becomes a part of history or
something such.
   c) develop them further, merge them, learn from them, etc. and
create new applications out of them.  That's the contribution to
project metamorphosis, as I understand it.
   d) maybe something else that I can't think of right now.

My opinion is that if we choose to repackage contributions to fit into
our contributions package tree, we will run into problems when
contributors want to provide a new version of their code, if they do
not fall under case 1 above.  As they will continue to develop code
under their own package tree, on their own machines, maybe under their
own CVS, etc., they will not necessarily want to change their code to
fit Jakarta/Lucene package structure and when they fix bugs or release
new version we'll have a tough time merging the two code bases.
I wouldn't want to do that :).

If contributors choose the 1. route then they can restructure the code,
so that it fits the new environment.  I think then they may have to
switch to APL, as well, but I don't know much about licensing side of
things.
I think this would be the desired route, as that would ensure that the
code in this repository is more up to date, et cetera.

This is just what I think.  I hope this doesn't cause long discussions
:)
My 0.02 Reals.

Otis

--- Peter Carlson <carlson@bookandhammer.com> wrote:

> I was thinking that the contributions in the sandbox area would be
> source
> contributions under the APL license. Other contributions that are
> basically
> references can still be added through the contributions page.
>
> I guess want I am not thinking the contributions area is just a hodge
> podge
> of unorganized stuff. It is structured repackaged (org.apache.lucene)
> contributions from contributors who are taking ownership. There may
> be some
> exceptions to the organization if the contributions are not related
> lucene functionality directly (i.e. Erik Hatcher's indexing ant
> task). Again
> this does not stop us from adding other's contributions (binaries,
> non-repackaged) to the contributions area.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> I agree with your naming convention changes.
>
> Thanks
>
> --Peter
>

> On 4/4/02 8:22 AM, "Otis Gospodnetic" <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> >
> >> Does everyone agree on that we should following this structure and
> >> naming convention?
> >>

> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/README.txt
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/LICENSE.txt
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/index.html
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/CHANGES.txt
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/CHANGES.txt
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/build/build.xml
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/...
> >> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/src/...
> >
> > Not all contributions may include source.
> > I imagine some contributions will come as an archive of .class
> files,
> > too.

jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/xdocs/about[contribution