lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Sandbox now official
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:22:50 GMT
Peter,

> Does everyone agree on that we should following this structure and
> naming convention?
>

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/README.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/LICENSE.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/index.html
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/build/build.xml
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/src/...

Not all contributions may include source.
I imagine some contributions will come as an archive of .class files,
too.

jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/xdocs/about[contribution
> ].xml

How about: about-[contribution].xml, it's a little easier to read.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/build.xml

Not all contributions will have sources, so some may not need this.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/readme.txt

How about README.txt, it's more common.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/src/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/docs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/xdocs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/build.xml
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/README.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/LICENSE.txt
>
> Where [contribution] is the name of the contribution
> [project] is the name of the subproject in the sandbox area.
> The contribution/build directory contains a build.xml which run all
> contributions build scripts.
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/... Would contain all
> created html
> files from the each contributions xdocs/about[contribution].xml
>
> I'll create the base files when we get buy off.
>
> The distinction between a contribution and a project is a little
> fuzzy, but
> projects would be for functionality outside the scope of Lucene's
> current
> API, where contributions would be able to be integrated into the
> current API
> (i.e. Analyzers, queryParsers, ...).

I may be misunderstanding this.
I'd imagine contributions to be code (source or binaries or...) that
various people provide, which we then either provide as is, or use bits
and pieces of to refactor in specific projects.
These projects then eventually become a part of Lucene (not core, but
applications/extensions).
The crawler+indexer may be one such project, and it may get its pieces
from various people's contributions.

> Please provide feedback so we can finalize this.
>
> Thanks for everyone's input and patience.
>
> Thanks to Brian for recommending the new CVS. I think it will be
> great to
> get some more Lucene contributors more directly involved if they are
> willing.
>
> --Peter

Otis