lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Melissa Mifsud" <>
Subject Normalization of Documents
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:07:12 GMT

Documents which are shorter in length always seem to score higher in Lucene. I was under the
impression that the nornalization factors in the scoring function used by Lucene would improve
this, however, after a couple of experiments, the short documents still always score the highest.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how it is possible to make lengthier documents score higher?

Also, I would like a way to boost documents according to the amount of in-links this document

Has anyone implemented a type of Document.setBoost() method?

I found a thread in the lucene-dev mailinglist where Doug Cutting mentions that this would
be a great feature to add to Lucene. No one followed his email.