lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: Scratchpad?
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:50:20 GMT
Hi,

I like this idea and it came up when we first introduced the idea of a
contrib area.
There was reservation to the idea because of the maintenance involved with
controlling other people's code.

Also, there is an impression of support for a given function even if it is
just in the scratchpad area. I know other projects like commons has a
sandbox so people know the items are not stable, but this seems different
than what you are doing.

My current thinking is that you want to make a scratchpad for the new
project pieces you are working on with the web crawling stuff. Maybe this
should be a new project or a separate sub project in Lucene. Have Lucene
turn a bigger project with a few some pieces (search/index engine, web
crawler, ???)

So I would suggest having pieces in the contrib area remain and not create a
scratch pad, but a sub project.

What are your thoughts?

--Peter