lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Scott Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Build file changes
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:27:11 GMT
on 3/11/02 2:07 PM, "Brian Goetz" <brian@quiotix.com> wrote:

> Simply dividing b.p into three sections, with appropriate comments,
> would be helpful.

Yea, I just did this earlier today with Scarab's default.properties and I
think it helped the readability of it quite a bit.

> I'd further consider moving the properties in the first category,
> those that structure the project and which are not really designed to
> be changed without other major changes to the project, back into the
> build.xml.  That way, b.p would have only highly dynamic or
> environment-speicific properties, and b.xml would have only structural
> properties.  Since the goal (I assume) was factoring out the dynamic
> stuff so users don't have to edit b.xml to change the
> version/environment, this seems to more explicitly follow that goal.

I agree with that as well, Scarab does something similar to that.

Although, I'm not entirely 100% sure which properties belong in build.xml
and which don't. I can see a property such as dist.dir and packages= going
back into the build.xml because in reality, they don't need to be changed by
the user, but others are definitely questionable. I would also suggest
modifying the javacc.* properties to be a single property...the location of
the JavaCC.zip file (relative or absolute). There is really no need to have
three properties like that.

-jon