lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Notes on distributed searching with Lucene
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:03:48 GMT
> From: Scott Ganyo [mailto:scott.ganyo@eTapestry.com]
>
> But this:
>
> Document[] getDocs(int[] i) throws IOException;
>
> still retrieves full documents from the remote index.

In my thinking, this would only be called for documents that are explicitly
requested with Hits.doc().  I was not thinking that distributed search would
support the "low-level" interface, but just the Hits interface.  For each
search, two calls would be made per remote index, one to get query term
statistics, and one to get the top-scoring document numbers and scores.
These can be merged, and then only the globally top-scoring document objects
need be retrieved, as they are displayed.

Doug