lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Normalization
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:50:58 GMT
Rodrigo Reyes wrote:

> Good point. I had this drawback in mind, but I am not totally convinced
>that the compilation process is really a good protection barrier, I'd rather
>rely on educational explanations and warnings. However, while the parser &
>interpreter are already written, it shouldn't be that hard to write a
>source-code generator (at least, it'd make it more efficient/faster, and
>that's not something I can be against).

Isn't this really a property of an index rather then an entire Lucene
build? I mean, ideally, the exact normalization procedure would be fixed
when an index is created and stored together with that index, so that
all future documents added to the index also use it and all queries
against the index can be normalized using the same procedure. As far as
searching across multiple indexes (with MultiSearcher), it would either
(a) refuse to work when indexes do not share normalization policy, or
(b) apply different normalization policies for each sub-index.
I realize that this is easier said than done, but would you agree that
this would be the ideal solution?

If so, having a text-based way to describe a policy is very helpful and
better than a source code-based one.

Dmitry.