lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Development issues / processes
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 05:21:05 GMT
Hello,

--- Brian Goetz <brian@quiotix.com> wrote:
> > We have one -1 right now for both contributions and scratchpad.
> >
> > I am trying to work with Brian to satisfy his issues.
>
> My objection is not to either a contributions area or a scratchpad,
> its
> to putting them in the lucene repo.
>
> Lucene is, right now, quite small.  And that's a good thing!  I think
> keeping it small and simple has a lot of value.

I know I would find Lucene even more valuable if it had some ready-made
components that would save me time.  Not necessarily as a core, but in
any shape or form that would get me started quickly.

> I think the proposed idea of putting the scratchpad in the commons is
> fine, and I'd agree to that.  I think that's what commons is for,
> anyway.
>
> As far as contrib, here's my objection.  contrib directories grow
> pretty quickly, are rarely well indexed or documented, and tend to
> decay -- eventually a lot of contributed code will stop building, if
> not stop working.  Contributed code is of varying levels of
> usefulness, correctness, documentedness, and other qualities.
> Eventually, the contrib area becomes a burden.  And it often swamps
> the size of the core source tree.
>
> I prefer making it a separate repo.

One thing I noticed today was that we are going through all this
trouble of discussing theory.  Why not try things and change them if we
see that they need changing.  It is not like we cannot undo or change
things in the repository.  If it grows too big or anything, we move it
out to a new home and cvs remove from the repository. Done deal.
My 0.02 sleepy liras.

Otis