lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Development issues / processes
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 04:34:58 GMT
> We have one -1 right now for both contributions and scratchpad.
>
> I am trying to work with Brian to satisfy his issues.

My objection is not to either a contributions area or a scratchpad, its
to putting them in the lucene repo.

Lucene is, right now, quite small.  And that's a good thing!  I think
keeping it small and simple has a lot of value.

I think the proposed idea of putting the scratchpad in the commons is
fine, and I'd agree to that.  I think that's what commons is for,
anyway.

As far as contrib, here's my objection.  contrib directories grow
pretty quickly, are rarely well indexed or documented, and tend to
decay -- eventually a lot of contributed code will stop building, if
not stop working.  Contributed code is of varying levels of
usefulness, correctness, documentedness, and other qualities.
Eventually, the contrib area becomes a burden.  And it often swamps
the size of the core source tree.

I prefer making it a separate repo.