lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Development issues / processes
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:07:04 GMT
This is a little redundant, as some more recent emails make these
questiosn stale, but I'll share my opinions.

> Questions:
> 1) Should Lucene put 3rd party contributions into the projects CVS
> under a contrib area?

I'm leaning towards a negative answer, unless we can come up with an
efficient way fo doing this and a person who will do this.

> 2) Should there still be a contributions page?

Yes.  I think it increases Lucene's value by making is easy for
potential Lucene users to get up and running by reusing code that other
nice people were willing to share.

> 3) Should there be a scratchpad area which basically provides an
> unsupported
> testing ground for new ideas and code?

Yes.  I'm for setting it up under Jakarta Commons Sandbox if possible.

> 4) Should there be a sub-project for the web crawler project that is
> being
> discussed?

I'm for sticking it in Jakarta Commons Sandbox project.

> 5) What is the release process for Lucene. That is what do the
> different stages mean (alpha, beta, release candidate?)

I think this is too many stages, too many for a side project that
Lucene is for, I believe, all its developers.

Otis