lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Action Item Vote Request
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:00:41 GMT
> 1) Create a contributions area as part of the Lucene CVS. This area would be
> used to bring together submitted to the Lucene mailing list (with permission
> from the submitter). The code would need to be repackaged (i.e. Give it an
> org.apache.lucene.contrib package), licensed (add the apache license), added
> to the  "build-contrib" target of the ant build script.
>
> There are a lot of great contributions out there that may or may not become
> part of Lucene's core build. I am +1 and am willing to set this up and help
> maintain it.

I prefer instead to have the /contrib area a separate CVS repo.  My
experience in other OS projects is that (a) contrib areas rapidly get
to be larger than then main distribution, making downloads slower, and
(b) often get out of sync with the main distribution.  The result is
that a mix of core code and contributions of varying levels of
quality, completedness, and maintainedness tends to lower the perceived
level of quality of the distribution.

So +1 for a /contrib area, -1 for making it part of the main CVS repo
and distribution.

> 2) Create a scratchpad area in the Lucene CVS
> (org.apache.lucene.scratchpad). This area would be focused on creating new
> parts of the Lucene core in an experimental mode. This code would be
> considered unstable and unsupported. If a part becomes stable and is desired
> to be moved into the Lucene core build, it must be approved through a
> committers vote (+3 votes).

Again, -1 if this is part of the main CVS repo, +1 on the concept.

> 3) Adopt a more formal release plan.
>     a)Beta means feature freeze
>     b)Release candidate means code freeze (unless bugs)
> To move into a beta or release candidate stage, you must a vote by the
> committers (+3 votes).

+1