lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Normalization
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:31:05 GMT
> Ok, I raise to four EUR cents :-)

Which makes me wonder -- does Yoorup really need a one cent AND a two
cent coin?  They had a once-in-a-century chance to reboot their
monetary system, and they came up with eight coin denominations (no
cash register has eight compartments) include a one cent and a two
cent, at least one of which, or maybe both, are unneeded.

>> So... might there be a compromise?  Is there a way of indicating the type
> of
>> Analyzer used to create an index and requiring that a compatible Analyzer
> be
>> used for searches without requiring the exact same Analyzer?
>
>  Well, seems to me that having the analyzer serialized and stored in the
> index is a nice solution: being stored with the index, the natural way to
> get the analyzer of an index would be to call an "indexreader.getAnalyzer()"
> method.

I've always liked this idea, in fact I wondered why it wasn't done
this way the first time I saw it.  Doug, what do you think of storing
the analyzer with the index, and letting things like the query parser
default to using the stored analyzer, so that people will be less
likely to shoot their feet by using the wrong analyzer?