lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Normalization
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:19:31 GMT
> As I have said before in this list, this gets way off of Lucene. The
> normalizer, or the morphologic analyzer or the phonetic transducer, or
> the stemmer, or the thesaurus -- they all could be stand-alone products.

I think that as Lucene matures, ALL of the sample implementations of
Analyzers (SimpleAnalyzer, StandardAnalyzer, the porter stemmer)
should be moved out of the "core" project and into the "library" of
plug-ins, leaving the core with only interfaces and perhaps the most
basic building blocks (WordTokenizer, LowerCaseFilter.)  Until
recently, there have been few plug-ins available, but this is changing
and eventually we will want to recognize this.

I think a good step would be to create a separate Lucene subproject,
for Analyzers and other plug-ins, and we can give out commit privs to
those more widely to people who have that domain expertise.