lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Normalization
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:20:59 GMT
> Why not use XML?

The goldem hammer strikes again...

<rant>
XML is my nominee for "most over-applied technology of the
year."  Its good for some things.  Rotten for others.  Used for
everything.  And the decision to use XML is often made long before
anyone thinks about (a) what will we be representing and (b) who
will be using it.
</rant>

The textual representation of the transformation is a pretty small
part of the problem that Rodrigo was discussing.  Once the
transformation framework has been fleshed out, XML may or may not be a
sensible and compact way of representing it.

> There are some issues with the characters you use, but using XML
> might make it easier to extend.

Might.  And might not.  Might make it harder to use.  Might simply get
in the way.