lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Development issues / processes
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:10:31 GMT
On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 01:24, Brian Goetz wrote:
> > Do you think the suggestion of putting separating the core, contrib and
> > scratchpad into different sub directories will not meet you needs of keeping
> > the core repository small?
>
> Its a thought.  My concern about this would be that someone browsing
> the repo via the CVSweb interface for the first time might be
> confused.  Keeping a VERY SMALL number of files, directories only, at
> the top level would help mitigate this.

Um thats the REASON for scratchpad - its well recognized and not in the
main area and as directories get cut and yet still remain they are
obviously dead, where if immature stuff is in the main trunk this
happens all over instead of in the scratchpad.  The Universe is more
beautiful and has more stars because it has nebulas.

> There's another very significant advantage to a separate repo for
> contrib -- we can grant commit on that much more lightly than on the
> core.  This increases the chance that contributions in contrib/ will
> be maintained by their contributor, if (s)he can commit them.
>
> I still prefer the idea of putting the scratchpad in commons.
>

> --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document