lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action Item Vote Request
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:05:00 GMT

> It sounds like you are saying the arguments for this -1 are the same as
> for the above (size and sync issue).
> My understanding is that stuff in scratchpad would not really be trying
> to remain in sync with outside code.  Isn't that so, Andrew?

No thats not true.  And generally most projects go so far as to cause
the build to break if scratchpad won't build "because they'll have to
work together eventually anyway"

> And as for size, this would not be a pile of code, plus it would not be
> in the Lucene distribution, so you would only see it if you are
> updating your CVS repository. No?
>
> Do you still give this -1?
> If so, could you please provide some alternative ideas?

Um the onus to come up with alternatives is on you:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html (see alternative under
long term plans)

Basically its this or I just go try and create a project in commons
(which no offense, I don't have to have anyone here's approval to do
that so I'd rather save my breath for commons if we're going there).
There are many downsides to this for one we'll not have the benefit of
feedback from the general project (it shall just be dropped in your lap
at the end).  The common's mail list is a zoo so it will be hard to
follow.  (its time to split it but they don't know it yet).

I'm a bit dismayed by one thing.  You've not looked at the way its
implemented in the projects I've pointed out.  It might address some of
your concerns:

jakarta.apache.org/poi
xml.apache.org/cocoon

For this effort the goal is to get this refactored QUICKLY so it can
join the project without making a mess of CVS as things get refactored.

-Andy

> Thanks,
> Otis

http://www.superlinksoftware.com